Music is a strength at Bassetts Farm and we encourage all children to learn to play music, to listen with appreciation and to compose.
Each year, children will have whole class lessons on three different instruments developing the child's understanding of rhythm, pitch and harmony.
Autumn 2020 - Music History
In this topic we are looking at different periods of Music by learning about a musician from each period. We are learning about;
- Baroque Music - JS Bach
- Film Music - John Williams
- Rock Music - Led Zeppelin
- Pop Music - Ed Sheeran
These are written for different instruments depending on the period of music we are looking at. You could continue your learning at home if you are lucky enough to have access to instruments, or, even using a piano app on a tablet or phone.
‘A high-quality music education should engage and inspire pupils to develop a love of music and their talent as musicians, and so increase their self-confidence, creativity and sense of achievement.’ Department of Education, National Curriculum.
At Bassetts Farm our intent is to provide a music curriculum which will enable each child to reach their full potential in music, encourage children to enjoy singing, composing and performing and provide children with the opportunity to perform in front of an audience both within and outside of school.
- For music to contribute to a broad, enriching and successful curriculum that is ambitious for all children.
- To develop the skills and knowledge that children need to take advantages of opportunities, responsibilities and experiences later in life.
- To work with the local community on events and performances.
- To ensure all children achieve at least a good standard and strive to excel.
- To address social disadvantage by ensuring all pupils have access to listening to live music, performing in groups and individually; and through giving wide experiences.
- To develop Cultural capital- engendering an appreciation of human creativity and achievement.