‘A high-quality physical education curriculum inspires all pupils to succeed and excel in competitive sport and other physically-demanding activities. It should provide opportunities for pupils to become physically confident in a way which supports their health and fitness. Opportunities to compete in sport and other activities build character and help to embed values such as fairness and respect.’ Department of Education, National Curriculum.
At Bassetts Farm our intent is to provide a PE curriculum which enables children to participate in a range of physical activities – confidently, competently and creatively.
We aim for PE in school to:
- Provide a foundation for lifelong physical activity participation and enhanced performance. Children acquire an understanding of how the body moves and develop positive attitudes towards physical activity participation.
- Ensure children develop an appreciation of the significance of physical activity, outdoor recreation and sport in our society and globally.
- Allow all children to understand the influences on their own and others’ health, safety, wellbeing and physical activity participation.
- Engage all children in regular physical activity.
- Raise children’s awareness of PE and sport to use as a tool for self- improvement.
- Ensure all children receive high quality PE and sport opportunities that is ambitious for all children, through knowledgeable and skilled teaching.
- Provide a broad and balanced curriculum of PE. Offering all children, including those with additional SEND and from disadvantaged backgrounds, a range of learning opportunities to develop their skills and understanding of PE.
- Address social disadvantage by providing opportunities for all pupils to participate in competitive and non-competitive sport.
- Work with the local community to ensure that children have sporting opportunities outside of school.
- Ensure all children achieve at least a good standard and strive to excel in their physical education including those from disadvantage backgrounds and those with additional SEND.