"Art, craft and design embody some of the highest forms of human creativity. A high-quality art and design education should engage, inspire and challenge pupils, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art, craft and design. As pupils progress, they should be able to think critically and develop a more rigorous understanding of art and design. They should also know how art and design both reflect and shape our history, and contribute to the culture, creativity and wealth of our nation."
DFE National Curriculum.
At Bassetts Farm our intent is to provide a curriculum which enables each pupil to reach their full potential in art, encouraging children to enjoy the creative processes from the first mark on paper to the completed final piece
We aim for art within the school to:
- Contribute to a broad, enriching and successful curriculum that is accessible and ambitious for all children.
- Enable children to develop the skills and knowledge that they will need to take advantage of opportunities, responsibilities and experiences later in life.
- Allow children to learn from other artists both worldwide, historical and local.
- Ensure that all children achieve at least a good standard and strive to excel.
- Address social disadvantage by ensuring all children have access to the art tools, high quality teaching and art based experiences such as visiting artists, viewing and critiquing art pieces and a visit to a gallery or museum. In the future, these experiences will allow them to use and explore their skills based on both real life observation and imaginative work.
- To develop cultural capital- engendering an appreciation of human creativity and achievement within the artists world by giving the children exposure to a range of famous art pieces in their many forms.
Gallery of Art Learning